Friday, March 25, 2011

Root: 1 Cabernet Sauvignon, Vintage 2008

I really love California Cabernet Sauvignons (as you know!), but in my never-ending quest to find "interesting" and "unique" buys that us pobrecitos can afford, I snagged this Chilean Cab from the grocery store by Chris' house for a dinner I made for him - one that I have to say was pretty delicious!

Verdict: This Cab is pretty classic, although I will say it's not anything super special. It's got a heavy red fruit aroma with a hint of a woody smell (maybe cedar chips? knowing what I know about Chile's winemaking techniques, that's likely). The palate is heavy on the darker red fruits (particularly blackcurrant and blackberries) and the tannins are smooth and integrated, although the alcohol is a little high for my taste (leading to a little heat on the back palate) 


Pairing: I made a lasagna and garlic bread to go with this wine - while a Cab sometimes can be too mild for red sauce, it went nicely with this meal because of its relatively high acidity and tannic nature. A full bodied wine, Cabs traditionally go well with steaks and lamb, but pair nicely with rich sauces like alfredo. While they don't pack as much punch as a Zin, Cabs are still hearty wines meant to be enjoyed with hearty meals - you'll find you get the most of your wine when you pair it appropriately.

Wine: Root: 1 Cabernet Sauvignon, Vintage 2008
Price: $11.99
Purchased: Harris Teeter, Arlington VA

No comments:

Post a Comment