Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Elios Mediterranean White, Vintage 2010

It's rare when a wine lives up to the often-hefty words of its reseller/vineyard website, but this is a fine example of one that does. According to the Terlato Wines International website (the reseller that partnered with old-hat Greek vineyard Boutari),
Elios wines are a blend of traditional grapes such as Chardonnay or Cabernet Sauvignon blended with Mediterranean grapes that are reminiscent of the sun soaked beaches, deliciously fresh foods, and relaxed culture of the Mediterranean. Elios Mediterranean blends have a bright, fruit forward flavor profile that today’s consumers seek out in a memorable package that will keep them coming back for more.
Doesn't it just make you want to throw a few chilled bottles in a cooler and head off to a beach vacation (of course LIFE these days makes me want to go on vacation - not even any specific part of life, just life in general, but who's counting?)? I know this wine belongs in a beautiful crystal long-stemmed white wine glass, but I'd be just as happy drinking it out of a 'sketchy' cup stretched out in a folding chair under a lovely (read: large) umbrella. Sigh.

Verdict: This wine is the perfect blend of inexpensive price tag and quality - plus, the label is pretty, for all my I-prefer-a-pretty-label amigas reading this today. I admit that I didn't know much about Greek wines when I purchased it, so I had to do some research on the grapes out of which this wine was made (mostly Chardonnay, but also a large percentage of Moschofilero, with a bit of a  Roditis/Savatiano blend). In addition to learning a lot of about the Greek winemaking history and reputation, I learned a lot about typical Greek wines and favorite tastes, and this wine seems to be at the lower-cost end of the favorites - the opposite end of the spectrum from Retsina (the wine that gives modern Greek wines a bad rep!). While I know Whole Foods in Maryland doesn't sell wine, I have to admit that a lot of my purchases lately have been from there, because they seem to feature unique wines at reduced cost - furthering the cause of this bloggy adventure.

On first glance, the color of this wine is a pale lemon, but after pouring it into a glass and letting it warm a bit in my hands, the color became more vibrant. The aroma is exceedingly pleasant on this table wine - a mix of fairly complex citrusy/floral scents that had me sniffing for quite some time to try and identify them all (a feat which I'm quite sure I didn't accomplish). On the forefront of the nose, there was a lot of lemon, melon and even a bit of lime with an almost honeysuckle or fruit blossom blend to it. While it was difficult to pinpoint all the different smells, it was very fun to try - almost as fun as tasting! A very light-bodied wine, the citrus translated to the palate along with a peachy/apricot-y base, supporting very grassy overtones. This wine is crisp, light, with a long finish and a tiny bit of sweetness (whether it's actual or perceived I'm not sure - it's so fragrant, I think my taste buds are confused by my nose!) - simply perfect for a refreshing white on a warm summer evening, by the beach or not.

Pairing: This is a FOOD wine. It's light body lends itself to a large range - from appetizers to full chicken dinners. I am recently obsessed with this "Athenian Chicken" from the Old Town Deli in Alexandria, and I think this wine would be amazing with the lemon-herb dressing on the greek-style "sample salad" they feature as a lunch special. Truly, though, this wine goes with just about everything (except maybe barbecue, and you've got plenty of other cheap options I've reviewed before to choose from for that! Go Zin!). Love this wine, or don't, but you could definitely give it as a host/hostess gift for just about any dinner party and it would be great to open before/during/after the meal.


Wine: Elios Mediterranean White, Vintage 2010
Price: $10.99
Purchased: Whole Foods Market, Alexandria VA

No comments:

Post a Comment