Thursday, October 27, 2011

La Cappuccina Soave, Vintage 2010

This wine was pretty snappy considering it only cost $10! The nose was very floral, but also had a lot of stone fruits (maybe peach or apricot?) and the palate very bright with a hint of herbal or nutty complexity. I got some ripe vegetables on the first sip, but then some nuts and a hint of vanilla (oak-aged, maybe? I can't find anything to confirm this suspicion...) on the second round. The finish didn't linger, but it wasn't abrupt either, and for a white wine, had a surprisingly satisfying medium body.

Verdict: This was a fairly complex white at this price point, but ultimately, l would still deem it "porch wine". Being a bit unfamiliar with both the region and the varietal, I may have to revise this post later once I've had a bit more education on them, but from what I read, my notes are fairly consistent with typical Soaves that are young and from less reputable (but still respected) wineries.


Teachable Moment:
This wine is made predominantly (70%) of a grape that I have *literally* never heard of: Garganega. It took a little bit of research to educate myself on it enough to share with you - so this teachable moment is for you AND me:
Garganega is a variety of white Italian wine grape widely grown in the Veneto region of North East Italy, particularly in the provinces of Verona and Vicenza. It is Italy's 6th most widely planted white grape. It forms the basis of Venetian white wine Soave and is also a major portion of the blend used to make Gambellara.[1]
DNA typing studies in 2003 and 2008 have confirmed that the Grecanico Dorato (Grecanio) grape of Sicily is identical to Garganega.[2] Already before these studies, ampelographers believed the grapes to be related due to the similarities of clusters, berries and leaf characteristics.[3]
-Taken from the Wikipedia page on Garganega.
Pairing: Being an Italian wine of fairly acidic character, I'd be amiss not to recommend it with pasta. I imagine, if I liked seafood, that this would be a great wine for some linguini in clam sauce or other such dish with a thicker sauce and a heady aroma... but, if you're like me, chicken Alfredo is the way to go! 

Wine: La Cappuccina Soave, Vintage 2010
Price: $9.99
Purchased: Whole Foods Market, Alexandria VA

No comments:

Post a Comment