Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Disgusting "Deals" to avoid!

Because I'm legitimately skint, I generally gravitate towards the excessively cheap wines, which, as you probably have guessed, aren't always terrible. Well, here's a few that you can just go ahead and pass on... yuck!



Schmitt Sohne Fünf Sweet Red, NV
I really enjoyed the cheapy Fünf Riesling, so I decided, against my better judgement, to try this one as well. It is, as expected, exceedingly strange and is only really palatable when it's ice cold. This reminds me of Boone's Farm mixed with grape juice, and would only be useful for playing drinking games ... which isn't actually a terrible idea!

Wine: Schmitt Sohne Fünf Sweet Red, NV
Cost: $6.99
Place Purchased: ACME Supermarket, Easton



Frisk Prickly Riesling, Vintage 2009

I bought this wine because I had the fleeting hope that it would be called "prickly" because it tasted like prickly pear ... not the case. This is another crappy Riesling that has undergone an unintentional secondary fermentation in the bottle as a result of the extra residual sugars, so it tastes bubbly when it shouldn't. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't kick this Riesling out of bed if I wanted to have a fun night, but this bottle just doesn't deliver what it promises... that being said, I still finished the bottle when I couldn't sleep the other night!

Wine: Frisk Prickly Riesling, Vintage 2009
Cost: $9
Place Purchased: Town & Country Liquors, St. Michaels


I have a few more, but I'll update this when I'm feeling less drained. Physical therapy kicked my ass today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment